Wednesday 23 December 2009

There's always one

I'll admit that most of our animals are touched in the head. Maybe it's a by-product of always adopting the second-hand irregulars, I don't know. In this case I have no excuse. I bred it and raised it here. But every year there's one hen whose hard-wiring makes it perpetually broody.

That's our front hedge. Can you see her yet?

How about now?



It's -2 degrees (C), 2 days before Christmas and this little hen is incubating more eggs than her tiny feathered bottom can cover at the same time. I swear she has a look of determination on her face.

Before I moved her, I explained to her that it was a good first effort but unless she covers all the eggs equally, they won't hatch. And that it's the middle of winter. She's only young and can try again in spring.

I suspect there will be many broods of tiny chicks trailing behind this little hen in future.

4 comments:

Pomona said...

Have a very happy Christmas!

Pomona x

Shawn K. Wayment, DVM said...

Jennifer...

Enjoy your blog and love the photos of your dogs!

Shawn

Jennifer Montero said...

Thanks Shawn - If my dogs keep injuring themselves I will need to enlist your expertise!

Paula said...

How cute! Well, hopefully her intent will come in handy if you have hens that won't go broody and you need that done.

Happy New Year!