Friday 29 January 2010

Shoulder in The Yoke

A truckful of dogs waiting to set out on the first drive of the day

Apologies for the lack of news. It's the last week of pheasant season and we've been shooting every day, and will do until 2nd February. Workers and dogs are fit but tired. We finish a day's shooting just in time to get home and sort the other animals with food, walks, clean beds and a scratch behind the ear. Then I have to make tomorrow's lunch for 40 workers, our own dinner, and try to keep up with basic housekeeping. The weather's turned wet again, so I'm buried under piles of wet muddy clothes that need washing or at least drying out for use again in the morning. I run out of daylight and energy before I run out of chores.

Sun coming up over the first pheasant drive of the day

Lots has been happening, but too fast for me to take many photos or write a cogent post. But I'm due to practice my butchery skills with Peggy on Sunday, planning a morning deer stalk next week, and expecting a delivery from the stork - 3 orphan ewe lambs to start my permanent flock. There will be more to report.

The goyle at the bottom of the first drive - the dogs are in there somewhere!

 While the dogs are having a break this morning, I have lots to get on with including an attempt at making duck confit with some mallards. I'll let you know how it turns out.

8 comments:

Sara said...

You sound amazingly busy. The description of your hectic days is offset, however, by the lovely and serene pics of the country. Good luck with the three new additions to "Team Montero." I'd make a pun with "ewes", but you're better with those, I'll leave it to you.

Paula said...

Glad to hear from you- I was missing your posts just yesterday. Good luck on your stalk, and congratulations on your ewes.

Sounds like you're living la vida loca. I guess hot baths and early bedtimes would be the only thing I could offer. Don't sweat the housework so much- it will always be there and you'll wear yourself out with it and everything else going on.

Besides, spring is coming and you turn the house inside out then.

Tamar@StarvingofftheLand said...

So, Jen, watch much TV?

I'm going to bookmark this post so that, whenever I start feeling sorry for myself because I have too much to do, I have a reminder of what hard work really is.

Jennifer Montero said...

Sara - You would think living in the middle of nowhere there would be nothing to take up so much of my time! I will work on the sheep puns; I put myself forward for some lambing duties with the local shepherd so there will be plenty of inspiration to be had.

Paula - Thanks! It's nice to be missed. I feel badly when I leave it so long. I agree, housework can always wait, but we have guests staying the weekend so it's just enough to make it look like we don't live in a hovel. And enough laundry to keep Mike dressed and warm on a shoot day.

Tamar - There's ALWAYS time for TV, even if it's the wee hours of the morning (BBC news or infomercials so not lots of choice at that time) And I'm a sucker for a zombie film. Or 'Lost'.

Colette said...

Hello my dear. What breed of lambs? A mixture or your lovely Gotlands?

How is the cardigan coming on?

Jennifer Montero said...

Colette - polled dorset lambs. May take on another pair of wethers for the freezer too, as the ewes won't be ready to breed til their second year.

I have accomplished sweet FA on the cardigan, but my week's holiday is coming up and I plan to knit like the wind...

Seester said...

I can't wait for you to visit me in San Francisco so you can see what REAL hardship is: I have to walk two full blocks to get good sushi. My TiVo cut off the end of the season premier of "Damages" and it's not on Hulu yet. To top it off, the temperature is rarely getting over 60 degrees so I've been having to wear a scarf everyday. Come to think of it, our lives are very similar...

Jennifer Montero said...

I will light a candle for you in church and say a prayer...am looking forward to finding out what a hulu is.

It's going to be like "Encino Man meets Legend of Greystoke" when you introduce me to your friends.

I promise to feign civility and not point and grunt and jump up and down excitedly when they answer their fancy cell phones.