Wednesday 10 August 2016

Loosey Gooseys

The orphaned Canada Goose goslings have all grown up. We started with one gosling, but quickly acquired three more, all siblings from the same pair of Geese. Perhaps the geese were a young pair who hadn't quite grasped the responsibilities of parenthood yet. Responsibility no. 1 - Don't let strangers walk off with your kids.

Anyway, the goslings have survived, mostly intact. I say mostly because Ian put the goslings in an A-frame pen on the grass. The pen was tight as they grew and didn't allow the geese much space to stretch their wings. The wingtips of two geese didn't muscle properly so at the moment they can't fly. I checked the bones are fine, and turned the wingtips to fold in correctly. Over time, the muscles should develop and they will be able to fly.

It was time to release the geese into the wild to fend for themselves. Sort of. Semi-wild. I chose a secluded pond just below the goat house. The geese will be far enough away from the main ponds not to be shot at, and I can feed them every day after milking the goats.

We put a dog crate in the back of the ATV and loaded the geese for their short journey.


We carried them from the crate straight to the pond. By evening their natural instincts kicked in enough that they avoided me. When I checked on them, they all made for the reed cover, and hunkered down until I left. They eat the food I leave for them, but have made it clear they are wild geese now, and want none of the fuss we give livestock.


Oh, except the daily feeds. That's cool with them..

3 comments:

Hazel said...

Fairly standard teenage behaviour then! Sounds much like my house this summer holidays...

Janice Bendixen said...

I agree with Hazel! I just keep the fridge stocked and baked goods on the counter. Those newbie geese parents would elicit all kinds of nasty comments, states-side. Especially in our current bizarre sociopolitical climate. I may need to come bunk with the goslings...

Janice Bendixen said...

BTW, Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport has an enormous goose population, plus the surrounding floatplane lakes. I'm wondering if your strategy of luring them off elsewhere with food might work here...